When shopping for sun smart clothing, look for the following factors that enhance the UPF rating:
- Color: Dark or bright colors keep UV rays from reaching your skin by absorbing them rather than allowing them to penetrate.
- Construction: Densely woven cloth, like denim, canvas, wool or synthetic fibers, are more protective than sheer, thin or loosely woven cloth. Check a fabric’s sun safety by holding it up to the light. If you can see through, UV radiation can easily penetrate the fabric and reach your skin.
- Fiber type: Polyester does an excellent job at disrupting UV light, as does nylon. Wool and silk are moderately effective.
- Fit: Loose-fitting apparel is preferable. Tight clothing can stretch and reduce the level of protection offered, as the fibers pull away from each other and allow more UV light to pass through.
- Coverage: The more skin your outfit covers, the better your protection. Whenever possible, choose long-sleeved shirts and long pants or skirts.
Our Tenue de Soleil sun smart & sustainable swimwear has the highest UPF50+ rating and is expertly designed to meet all the factors mentioned above.